If you’re like many people, you’ve heard of toxic black mold – but what’s the difference between that and plain, regular, run-of-the-mill mold? This guide explains.
What’s the Difference Between Regular Mold and Black Mold?
Contrary to popular belief, there’s no such thing as toxic black mold. Scientists say that there are more than 20,000 species of black mold – and some of them are more concerning (at least from a health standpoint) than others are.
The biggest scares come from mycotoxins, which are toxic compounds that some types of molds produce. Mycotoxins can be dangerous to your health; they can poison you and create long-term health effects (including cancer). However, despite what many people say, you shouldn’t use color to determine whether mold is toxic; that’s because all molds (white, orange, pink, black, green or any other color) can produce mycotoxins.
But mycotoxins aren’t the worst of what mold can do. Mold can produce a volatile organic compound in the form of a gas that can be incredibly dangerous to breathe – and it does that more often than it produces mycotoxins.
What Should You Do if You See Mold Growth in Your Home?
If you notice mold growth in your home, you should contact a mold remediation expert immediately. Because you can’t tell whether mold is off-gassing or producing mycotoxins, it’s important to get a professional to look at it – and then handle the problem so you don’t have to worry about it anymore.
If you don’t see mold growth in your home but you’re experiencing symptoms consistent with mold toxicity, you should see your doctor and call a mold remediation expert. Some of the symptoms of mold toxicity include:
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Skin rash
- Watery eyes
- Chest tightness
Do You Need a Disaster Remediation Expert in Washtenaw County or Jackson County?
If your home has already been damaged, we can help. Check out our services and call 734-352-9183 for your free disaster remediation quote today. We offer: