Tornado season in Michigan is right around the corner, and that means it’s time to make sure your family is ready. You’ll need to prepare your own tornado kits – and if you’re pet owners, you’ll need a tornado kit for pets, too.
Related: What to put in your disaster kit
What Goes in a Tornado Kit for Pets?
Your pet tornado kit should be in a sturdy container that’s easy to carry. Make sure to fill it with all your pet’s essentials, including:
- Sturdy leashes and harnesses
- Pet carriers if applicable
- A kennel so your pet can’t escape
- Drinking water
- Cat litter
- Litter box
- Manual can opener (if your pets eat canned food)
- Medications your pet takes
- Medical records in a waterproof container
- A first-aid kit
- Current photos of your pet in case he or she gets lost
- Information on feeding schedules and medical conditions in case you end up having to foster or board your pets (keep this information in a waterproof container, too)
- Pet toys
- Pet beds
Pro tip: If you know a tornado is coming, harness and leash your pet right away – it’s one less step you’ll have to take during the event.
Related: What is the Fujita-Pearson Tornado Scale?
Keeping your pets safe during a tornado is about more than just having a kit, though. You also need to:
- Make sure all your cats and dogs are wearing collars with up-to-date ID tags (and include your cell phone number on the tag)
- Take your pet if you evacuate – if your home isn’t safe for you, it’s not safe for your pet
- Evacuate early – don’t wait for an evacuation order
Do You Need a Disaster Remediation Expert in Washtenaw County or Jackson County?
If your home has already been damaged, we can help. Check out our services and call 734-352-9183 for your free disaster remediation quote today. We offer:
- Water damage restoration
- Mold removal and remediation
- Fire and smoke restoration
- Sewer cleanup and disinfecting
- Wind and storm damage repair