The end of summer is almost here, and that means falling leaves are right around the corner. Now is the perfect time to clean out your gutters to make sure that there isn’t a big build-up that prevents water from flowing through them this fall, which can lead to roof damage and problems with water near your foundation.
Why You Need Clean Gutters
When water can’t flow through your gutters properly, it will find any available outlet – and sometimes that means overflowing in the worst possible places (like near your foundation).
(Learn more: Why Water Pooling Near Your Foundation is Bad)
How to Clean Your Gutters
Because plenty of leaves and other debris will end up in your gutters this fall, it’s a good idea to clean them now. You’ll likely have to clean them again before winter hits, to help prevent ice dams and other problems, but taking care of it now will give you a head start.
Here’s how to clean your gutters:
- Remove the gutter covers, if you have them.
- Scoop out all the debris with your hands. Wear gloves! You can also use a tool, but use something that won’t scrape the insides of your gutters; they’re usually coated with paint and rust protectant. Rust brings on other issues!
- Flush the gutter with clean water and check for proper flow.
- Watch your downspouts to make sure all the water you poured in is coming out. If it’s not, you might have a clog.
- If you do have a clog, you don’t necessarily have to take apart the whole downspout. You may be able to dislodge it by moving a running hose up and down inside it.
Clogged, blocked or improperly cleaned gutters can cause serious water damage to your house, so it’s important that you keep an eye on what’s happening near your roof.
Is Your Home Water-Damaged?
If your home is already water-damaged, we may be able to help you.
We provide several damage restoration services, including fire, smoke and soot restoration services, as well as water damage restoration services in Ann Arbor and all the surrounding communities that can help you and your family get back on track.
Call us at 734-352-9183 or get in touch with us online today.