After a house fire, you have a lot on your mind – and there’s just so much to do and so many people to talk to. As you start to get a moment to breathe, have a look at this checklist of valuable documents that you may want to try to replace.

What You May Need to Replace After a House Fire

You might want to get the ball rolling on replacing these important documents:

  • Auto registrations
  • Drivers licenses
  • Titles and deeds
  • Passports
  • Divorce papers
  • Social Security or Medicare cards
  • Credit cards
  • Birth, death and marriage certificates
  • Insurance policies
  • Military discharge papers
  • Stocks and bonds
  • Your will
  • Medical records
  • Warranties for household items
  • Income tax records
  • Citizenship papers

What About Money?

If you have money that’s been burned in a house fire, you shouldn’t handle it – and if you must handle it, be careful. Try to place each bill (or each part of a bill) in plastic wrap or a plastic sandwich bag to help preserve it. If the money is only half-burned (as long as half of the money is still usable) you can take it to a Federal Reserve Bank and have it replaced. Your bank will tell you where the one closest to you is. If you don’t want to take it to the bank, you can send the burned money to the U.S. Treasury by FedEx or UPS at:

Bureau of Engraving and Printing
MCD/OFM, Room 344A
14th and C Streest SW
Washington, DC 20228

If you’re sending the money through the regular mail, send it to:

Bureau of Engraving and Printing
MCD/OFM, Room 344A
P.O. Box 37048
Washington, DC 20013

Do You Need a Disaster Remediation Expert in Washtenaw County or Jackson County?

If your home has already been damaged, we can help. Check out our services and call 734-352-9183 for your free disaster remediation quote today. We offer: