After a tornado, you still need to keep yourself and your family safe – and now, because Michigan’s tornado season is right around the corner, it’s important that you plan ahead for what to do in the aftermath.
What to Do After a Tornado
If you have power, turn on the radio or television to get the latest emergency information. If not, use the radio in your tornado safety kit.
- Stay out of damaged buildings. Don’t even try to take shelter from the rain or following winds in a damaged building, which could collapse on you and your family.
- Stay off the phone unless you need to make an emergency call. Phone lines will be busy with other emergency calls, and in many cases, cell towers will be incapacitated.
- Clean up spills immediately. Look for medicines, bleach, gasoline and other flammable liquids and clean them right away.
- Leave the building, even if it appears structurally sound, if you smell gas or chemical fumes. These fumes can cause an explosion.
- Take pictures of the damage as soon as possible. You may need photos of the house and everything inside it for insurance purposes.
- Call a disaster remediation expert as soon as you’re safe and have been able to survey the damage.
Has Your Home Already Been Damaged by a Tornado or High Winds?
If you’re facing tornado damage or damage from high winds, Exact Recon can help. We offer several damage restoration services, including fire, smoke and soot restoration services, as well as water damage restoration services in Ann Arbor and all the surrounding communities that can help you and your family get back on track.
Call us at 734-352-9183 or get in touch with us online today.