It’s obviously not safe to live with mold inside of your home, but in most cases it begins to form and lurk without your knowledge, and it can negatively impact your health. Here are telltale signs of its presence, and where to check for it.


Signs of Mold

If mold is present in your home it can cause many symptoms, like watery and itchy eyes, a sore throat, coughing, difficulty breathing, wheezing, skin irritation, and even fatigue. It can aggravate asthmatic conditions, and even cause asthma in children.


Where You Might Find Mold Inside of Your Home

Mold loves moisture and warmth. So if you’ve got pipes in your home that are prone to leaking, like in your basement or beneath the sinks in your kitchen or baths, be sure to have them fixed by a plumber right away. In the meantime, keep an eye out for any mold development in those areas. Check for clusters or spots of mold, especially in spaces where you have had a recent leak or experienced water damage.


If You Find Mold, Can You Clean it Yourself?

If you find mold growing inside of your home, you may be able to clean it yourself—depending on the nature of the affected area, and how widespread the mold is. The Environmental Protection Agency advises that if you have a moldy area that’s less than 10 square feet (which is an area that’s about 3 ft. by 3 ft.), in most instances, you may be able to clean it yourself.


Before you attempt to clean a moldy area put on protective gear, like gloves and a face mask, and open windows in the space to ventilate it. Remove and discard the moldy items, for instance moldy boxes, or ceiling or carpet tiles, and clean the affected area with bleach and a hard bristle brush. Wipe the area clean with a damp cloth, and be sure to allow it to thoroughly dry.

Do You Need a Disaster Remediation Expert in Washtenaw County or Jackson County?

If your home has already been damaged, we can help. Check out our services and call 734-352-9183 for your free disaster remediation quote today. We offer: