It’s time to batten down the hatches as the winter season approaches. Here’s a quick checklist to help keep your home and family safe and prepared.
Inspect the Exterior of Your Home and Fill Gaps
As cold weather continues to settle in small animals seek shelter in warm and inviting spaces—don’t let your home become one of them. Inspect the exterior of your residence for gaps and spaces that might be large enough for a pest like a mouse, or other rodent, to enter. Cover any breaches you find. Also, remember to guard your home’s exterior vents using hardware cloth. And it’s wise to install door sweeps on your exterior doors to prevent smaller insects and animals from pressing their way through.
Check Walkways and Stair Railings for Safety
When snow and ice fall on walkways, stairs, and paths they can become treacherously slick and cause slips and falls. For the safety of you and your family inspect your property for walkways where the footing might be uneven—like protruding pavers, and where stair railing could be wobbly as these conditions can increase the chances of a fall, whether the weather is inclement or not. Make repairs where needed.
Stock Up on Supplies
Michigan winters can be brutal, but if you take the time to stock up on winter supplies now you can save yourself headache and stress down the road when the first major storm of the season strikes. Consider doing the following:
- Inspecting your snow shovels and ice scrapers and replacing them if needed.
- Ordering firewood if you use a fireplace or a wood stove.
- Investing in bags of pet- and plant-safe ice melt.
- Equipping your home and vehicle with emergency kits. If you already own some—making sure they are properly stocked.
- If you own a snow blower—making sure it’s in good working order, and purchasing fuel.
- If your home has an emergency power generator—making sure it’s in good working order.
Do You Need a Disaster Remediation Expert in Washtenaw County or Jackson County?
If your home has already been damaged, we can help. Check out our services and call 734-352-9183 for your free disaster remediation quote today. We offer: