According to the Detroit Free Press, this summer is going to carry over the spring’s rough weather – it’s going to be hot and rainy, and that means some areas are extra-prone to flooding.
Here’s what you can do to help protect your house from flooding this summer and beyond.
How to Protect Your House From Summer Floods in Michigan
While you can’t prevent a flood from happening, you can help protect your belongings and your house. (If a flood has already damaged your home and belongings, we can help.)
You do need to know that just one inch of flood water can cost tens of thousands of dollars to repair if you don’t have insurance – and the Federal Emergency Management Agency recommends that people buy flood insurance, even if it’s not required by your mortgage lender. You can check whether you live in a flood zone here: https://msc.fema.gov/portal/home
To help protect your home from flooding, though, here’s what you can do:
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clear and pointed away from your house and its foundation
- Clean debris from storm drains
- Make sure your yard is graded away from your house
- Seal foundation cracks as soon as you discover them
- Seal basement walls with waterproofing compound
- Install a sump pump if you don’t already have one
- Raise service equipment and appliances (like your HVAC unit, water heater and other equipment) off the ground, at least one foot above potential flood height
- Keep appliances like washers and dryers, hot water heaters and other systems off the ground floor
Do You Need a Disaster Remediation Expert in Washtenaw County or Jackson County?
If your home has already been damaged, we can help. Check out our services and call 734-352-9183 for your free disaster remediation quote today. We offer:
- Water damage restoration
- Mold removal and remediation
- Fire and smoke restoration
- Sewer cleanup and disinfecting
- Wind and storm damage repair