If you live in Michigan, you know that power outages are pretty frequent when we get storms – and you may even have a generator.
But how do you stay safe and prevent a house fire with your generator?
Here’s what you need to know.
A Quick Word on Generator Use
Improper generator use can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock, or fire. You don’t have to be able to smell the fumes from the generator’s exhaust to be exposed to carbon monoxide – if you start to feel sick, weak or dizzy, get away from the generator and get some fresh air. If the symptoms are severe, get medical attention immediately.
Generator Safety Tips
- Conduct regular inspections and maintain your generator between uses
- Disconnect your normal source of power before you use your generator
- Don’t plug a generator into a wall outlet or the main electrical panel
- Keep enough fuel on hand
- Keep your generator dry
- Keep your generator grounded
- Plug all your equipment directly into the generator using heavy-duty extension cords rated for outdoor use
- Position your generator outdoors, away from any structure (especially your house)
- Turn off your generator and let it cool before you refuel it
The main priority when you’re using a generator is to keep yourself and your family safe.
What if a Generator Causes a Fire?
If there’s a fire at your home, it’s important that you work with a fire and smoke damage restoration expert who can deal with your insurance company and repair the damage that’s been done.
Do You Need to Talk to a Disaster Remediation Expert in Ann Arbor?
Call us at 734-352-9183 or contact us online so we can schedule an appointment to analyze the situation and help you get back on track.