If your home has smoke damage, you most likely need a fire and smoke damage specialist in Ann Arbor – but if you’re trying to deal with it yourself, these tips can help get you on the right track.

What’s the Difference Between Soot and Charring?

Soot is the residue left after a fire. It has a lot of impurities – all carbon-based – in it, and it’s typically the result of material not burning completely. Soot is typically oily because a lot of the items that burn contain plastic; those molecules get released into the air.

Charring is what happens when parts of an object become blackened because they’re partly burned. Anything can char – it’s a chemical process that removes hydrogen and oxygen from the object, and what’s left is mainly carbon.

How to Deal With Soot Yourself

You’ll need the right supplies, including TSP (trisodium phosphate) cleaner, rubber gloves, goggles and a mask, big sponges, big buckets and lots of warm water.

First, vacuum away soot that’s on the surface of objects. Once you’ve removed all that you can, soak a sponge in a gallon of warm water with one tablespoon of TSP. Wipe one section of the wall at a time, using firm strokes.

Once all the soot is removed, you’ll still need to prime and repaint the walls. For most people, it makes sense to hire a fire and smoke damage expert to tackle these tough jobs for them – it’s a pretty time-consuming process, particularly when you don’t have professional-grade tools.

Do You Need to Talk to a Disaster Remediation Expert in Ann Arbor?

If you’ve had a disaster, whether it’s water damage, fire damage or something else, we may be able to help you start moving forward again.

Call us at 734-352-9183 or contact us online so we can schedule an appointment to analyze the situation and help you get back on track.