Cleaning your gutters can help prevent water damage in your home – but if you’re like many homeowners, you don’t know too much about doing it.
Here’s the scoop on cleaning your gutters to protect your home.
How to Clean Your Gutters
Your gutters can fill up with sticks, leaves and other debris. That debris can cause clogs, which results in water sticking around against your house. Water isn’t supposed to stay on your house beneath your roof – and if it does, it can soak in and create serious roof damage. It can lead to ice dams during the winter, and foundation damage at any time of year.
Use these steps to clean out your gutters:
- Use a strong, extendable ladder.
- Wear rubber gloves, because it’s a dirty job.
- Spread a plastic tarp on the ground and over your landscaping plants to protect them.
- Use a small, plastic scoop (you can find gutter scoops at your local home improvement or hardware store) to remove large piles of debris from your gutters.
- Run clean, clear water through your gutters to remove leftover debris.
If you have sagging, rusted or broken metal on your gutters, you need to repair it immediately. Your gutters can’t work properly if they’re in poor condition – and that can lead to expensive damage to your home.
Do You Need a Disaster Remediation Expert in Washtenaw County or Jackson County?
If your home has already been damaged, we can help. Check out our services and call 734-352-9183 for your free disaster remediation quote today. We offer: