If you’re like many people, you know that fire extinguishers need to be inspected on a regular basis. But how often are you supposed to have them inspected by a professional? Where do you even go for a fire extinguisher inspection? This guide explains.
How Often – and Where – to Get a Fire Extinguisher Inspected
You should have your fire extinguishers inspected annually by a professional. Additionally, you should inspect them yourself at least once a month.
Your local fire department most likely has a program for inspecting fire extinguishers, as well as for accepting expired or discharged fire extinguishers. Here are some numbers you can call if you’re in the local area:
- Ann Arbor Fire Department: 734-794-6961
- Ann Arbor Fire Station 3: 734-794-6978
- Ann Arbor Fire Station 4: 734-828-4596
- Ann Arbor Fire Station 5: 734-794-6978
- Ann Arbor Fire Station 6: 734-794-6966
- Augusta Township Fire Department: 734-461-9500
- Chelsea Area Fire Authority: 734-475-8755
- Dexter Area Fire Department: 734-426-4500
- Hamburg Township Fire Department: 810-222-1100
- Jackson Fire Department: 517-788-4150
- Milan Area Fire Department: 734-439-2843
- Northfield Township Fire Department: 734-449-2385
- Pittsfield Township Fire Department: 734-822-4911
- Saline Area Fire Department: 734-429-4440
- Scio Township Fire Department: 734-665-6001
- Summit Township Fire Department: 517-788-4115
- Superior Township Fire Department: 734-484-1996
- Ypsilanti Township Fire Department: 734-544-4100
How to Inspect Your Own Fire Extinguisher
Each month, you should inspect your own fire extinguishers. Follow these steps to get a good look at their condition:
- Look for obvious signs of damage, including corrosion, leaks or a clogged nozzle.
- Check the locking pin and make sure it’s intact. You should also make sure the tamper seal is unbroken.
- Make sure the pressure gauge is in the “Operable” range.
- Lift the fire extinguisher to make sure it’s still full of chemicals.
- Look at the last professional service date on the tag. If it’s been more than a year, you should take it to the fire department or another authority for an inspection.
Do You Need a Disaster Remediation Expert in Washtenaw County or Jackson County?
If your home has already been damaged, we can help. Check out our services and call 734-352-9183 for your free disaster remediation quote today. We offer: