Finding a home that’s just right for you and your family can be a challenging and emotional process. But when you finally find the one, although it may seem ideal, what lies within its walls may not be. Aluminum or knob and tube wiring in a home is a fire hazard and could short-circuit your love connection. Ask if your potential home has either type of wiring, and always do your due diligence by getting a home inspection.

Signs of General Wiring Problems in a Home

When you tour a home, check that light switches and outlets work properly. Lights that flicker, outlets that don’t work, and warm or hot faceplates or outlets, are all signs of general wiring problems.

Aluminum Wiring

Houses built before 1972, and wired using aluminum, are 55 times more likely to have fire hazard conditions, like hot cover plates, sparks, and charring, than homes with copper wiring, according to a national survey conducted for the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Knob and Tube Wiring

Until about 1940, knob and tube was widely used in homes. Today, many insurance companies won’t insure homes with knob and tube wiring, even if it’s functioning properly, because they consider it to be a fire hazard.

If you’re eyeing a potential home with plans to renovate, you will have to remove any knob and tube wiring to meet the local building code before a contractor can legally begin work.

If you choose to purchase a home that contains either aluminum or knob and tube wiring you should be aware that upgrading the wiring can be costly, in some cases up to several thousand dollars. During your home search you will more than likely encounter such outdated wiring in older and historic homes.

Do You Need a Disaster Remediation Expert in Washtenaw County or Jackson County?

If your home has already been damaged, we can help. Check out our services and call 734-352-9183 for your free disaster remediation quote today. We offer: