If you’re like many people, you know that fire damage restoration is necessary if your home or business has been through a fire – but you probably still have questions. This guide addresses fire damage restoration FAQ, but if you don’t see your question answered here, please feel free to call us at 734-352-9183 and we’ll be happy to give you the answers you need.
Fire Damage Restoration FAQ
Check out the most common questions we get about fire damage restoration:
- How long does fire restoration take?
- What does a fire damage restoration company do?
- How do you clean up fire damage?
- How much does it cost to fix a fire-damaged house?
Here’s a closer look at each.
How Long Does Fire Restoration Take?
The amount of time it takes a fire damage restoration company to repair your home or business depends on the extent of the damage. There are several steps to the process, including:
- Assessment. Your fire damage restoration contractor will have to figure out the extent of the damage, what needs to be restored, how much it will cost and how long it will take.
- Damage prevention. Before any restoration work can begin, your restoration pro will have to prevent further damage. Your contractor will most likely send in a cleanup team to remove salvageable items from your space.
- Cleaning. Fire, smoke, soot and water generally cause quite a mess – and your contractor will have to go in and begin cleaning and sanitizing the home itself.
- Repairs. When fire, smoke, soot or water causes damage, it’s essential to make repairs quickly – and that’s what your fire restoration expert will do.
- Replacement. Some things, such as furnishings, flooring, electrical sockets and other household essentials may need to be replaced because they’re too damaged to continue using. In many cases, insurance companies require detailed lists of these items before paying for replacement, which can affect your timeline.
What Does a Fire Damage Restoration Company Do?
A fire restoration company repairs damage done by a fire, regardless of what caused the fire. These companies also repair water, smoke and soot damage. They clean and sanitize areas damaged (or even contacted) by fire, smoke, water and soot, as well. Essentially, fire restoration companies make your home livable or your business operable again.
How Do You Clean Up Fire Damage?
If fire damage isn’t so extensive that you need to hire a professional fire damage restoration company, there are things you can do to clean things up yourself. You can:
- Use products containing trisodium phosphate (TSP) to reduce odors in fabrics
- Remove soot and smoke from walls using mild soap or detergent mixed with trisodium phosphate, water and bleach
- Wash walls in small areas, working from the floor up
How Much Does it Cost to Fix a Fire-Damaged House?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer for how much it costs to fix a fire-damaged house. That’s because the extent of the damage, the size of the house, and several other factors come into play. If you have insurance that covers fire damage, your costs will likely be substantially less than they would if you didn’t have insurance. However, the national average price for fire damage restoration and cleanup is around $12,000.
Do You Need a Disaster Remediation Expert in Washtenaw County or Jackson County?
If your home has already been damaged, we can help. Check out our services and call 734-352-9183 for your free disaster remediation quote today. We offer: