If you’re like many people, you don’t think a lot about flooding – after all, we live in Michigan, and it’s not like we’re on a coastline. However, any place where it rains, it can flood.
Here’s what you need to know.
Could Your Property Flood This Spring?
Floods are increasing in frequency and severity all over the world. And while it’s a good idea to have flood insurance, there’s only so much you can do to prevent flood waters from invading – and ruining – your home. (Although this Texas man seems to have protecting his home down to a science.)
FEMA says that just because your house hasn’t flooded before, that doesn’t mean it can’t flood in the future. In fact, this is from the FEMA Fact Sheet on flooding:
“Flood risk is very dynamic and changes over time due to new weather patterns, construction in and around our communities, and other contributing factors. Your risk today is not the same as it was 50 years ago, and it is not the same as it will be 50 years in the future.”
So what can you do?
How to Protect Your Home From Flooding
You may not be able to mitigate 100 percent of the risk, but you can improve your home’s chances of making it through a flood by:
- Installing foundation vents or a sump pump
- Applying coatings and sealants to your foundation, walls and windows
- Installing check valves on your pipes
- Raise the electrical outlets and switches in your home to at least one foot above flood level
- Grade your lawn away from your house
- Create some space between your mulch and your siding
- Point your downspouts well away from your home
Do You Need a Disaster Remediation Expert in Washtenaw County or Jackson County?
If your home has already been damaged, we can help. Check out our services and call 734-352-9183 for your free disaster remediation quote today. We offer: