Natural disasters can happen anywhere, any time. If the state of Michigan is hit by a natural disaster, you may be able to ask for disaster assistance from the U.S. government. Here’s what you need to know. 

Applying for Disaster Assistance From the Government

You can apply for disaster assistance from the government if the president makes a major disaster declaration for the state of Michigan (or whatever state you happen to be residing in). The declaration from the president has to name the county you live in for you to qualify for individual assistance. 

You can find out if your county has been declared by entering your ZIP Code here.

What if Your County Hasn’t Been Declared?

If your home is damaged by a disaster but your county hasn’t been declared for individual assistance, you can wait to see if your county is added later. You can also contact the state emergency management agency to find out what kind of help is available to you. Click here to visit the state of Michigan’s emergency management website.

How Do You Know What Assistance You Qualify For?

Based on your ZIP Code and your answers to a questionnaire, the government will give you a personalized list of assistance you can apply for. You can enter your answers to the questionnaire here.

Note: You may still qualify for FEMA assistance if you have insurance. However, FEMA can’t duplicate benefits for things that your insurance covers, so you’ll want to file an insurance claim as soon as you can to get the assistance you need.

Do You Need a Disaster Remediation Expert in Washtenaw County or Jackson County?

If your home has already been damaged, we can help. Check out our services and call 734-352-9183 for your free disaster remediation quote today. We offer: