If you’re like most people, you don’t expect a fire at your home – but you do know the basics:
- Inhaling smoke is dangerous
- Water damage usually occurs after a fire
- Mold can grow in your home after firefighters put out the flames
But each of those is really important – and here’s more information.
3 Things You Need to Know About House Fires
All smoke is dangerous to breathe. Depending on what was on fire, there could be chemicals – even deadly ones – in the air. Smoke is actually a mix of particles and chemicals produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-containing materials, and inhaling it can kill you.
When firefighters are dousing the flames in water, the water has to go somewhere – and usually, your belongings soak it up. Water from firefighting can end up in walls, doing damage to electrical systems, in your carpets and everywhere else. It’s important that you work with a water damage restoration specialist after a fire to get the best possible outcome for your home and your belongings.
Mold can grow in your home after firefighters put out the flames. This typically occurs when there isn’t adequate time for your belongings, your carpet or your walls to dry out, or when the water damage is just too extensive. Working with a water damage restoration expert can help minimize this risk and keep you, your family and your pets safe from the harmful effects of mold.
Do You Need to Talk to a Disaster Remediation Expert in Ann Arbor?
If you’ve had a fire in Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Dexter or a nearby community, we can help.
Call us at 734-352-9183 or contact us online so we can schedule an appointment to analyze the situation and help you get back on track.